Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day 2

This morning's portion of the orientation basically sucked. I looked around the room and we were all trying to keep from falling asleep. It was a 3 hour marathon on Safety Training: What to do in an emergency situation; needle safety; sprinkler system (they are not fully sprinkler equipped, yea!), fire safety; etc, etc, etc. It was a very long morning, and because the guest speakers kept going over their time, they shortened our 15 minute break to a 5 minute break, ugh. The second half of the day wasn't so bad, it was the Nursing Orientation portion. Anyone that is an RN, HCA/HCT, or Unit Secretary got to stay for this portion. In essence, we just went over a lot of the policies that we already went over yesterday, with a little more detail. We ended the day with a small tutorial about the KUMED website and what we will be able to do with it once we are able to get logged on, which will be tomorrow.

One of our speakers today spoke about the RN programs for those of us who do not have a nursing degree and a little bit about all of the opportunities. I also learned from a girl sitting two rows down, that if you work at a hospital, the state of Kansas has to pay for your nursing assistant certification, aka CNA. She apparently just got something in the mail about that since she is about to finish her certification. This option is just sounding more and more appealing. I asked her a little bit about her path in getting a CNA. She is doing it at Johnson Co. Community College and they have a full-time 2 week program and even night/weekend programs that are 8 or 10 weeks long. Definitely do-able! So I will be looking into that soon. If I decide to go ahead and go into nursing, this takes care of a lot of the pre-requisites for the nursing degree, plus I'll be certified and able to take extra shifts at the hospital for some extra cash. I'll let you know what I find out.

Overall, not a bad day, even though my pant's zipper did break at the beginning of the day and made me vey thankful that I wore a long shirt. I parked even further away today and since it was so nice when I was done for the day, I decided to skip the shuttle and walk. Going from working in retail always walking/practically running, to a basically sit-down job, I'm going to have to find some ways to fit in some extra exercise.

No comments: