Sunday, April 5, 2009

As It Should Be

Sleeping in 'til 11, aahhh. . .haven't done that in a while. Spending an entire day to myself and not turning on the tv until 8:30pm, haven't done that in a while either. Cleaning from 12-5, from the toilets to the bathtubs, from mopping every floor that can be mopped to dusting the tv. . .haven't done that much cleaning in a while. Cooking. . . . . . . . . . .well, that's just something I don't do. Ever.

Jonathan asked yesterday if I'd want to make spaghetti with him tonight and I said that sounds great. Basically, with the thought that he'd do most of it and I'd clean up afterwards. Sounds fair to me. Well, when he called to say he was running late from work and still had to go home and change and what not, I decided that I would go to the store myself instead of waiting on him. I got home with all of the goods and realized that it sure would be nice of me to just cook the meal, all by myself, for him. I also realize this was a good idea when I get a voicemail from him stating that he was leaving my apartment as he realized when he got here that he had forgotten his cell phone charger for his phone that was already on the verge of dying.

And I assure you, while it wasn't the hardest of recipes, it did involve a little more than throwing a jar of spaghetti sauce on top of some cooked noodles. When Jonathan finally arrived I had a nice vegetable medley stewing on the stove, the noodles coming to a nice boil, and french bread heating in the oven. He did proceed to make the salad from the fresh romaine lettuce I bought rather than the prepackaged kind we tend to buy, saying he couldn't just stand by and let me do everything.

And when he took his first bite he said it was perfect. It's not that I can't cook I've learned, it's just that I've tried for so long to not have to. But having someone as great as Jonathan to enjoy these meals with, he actually makes me want to cook and have this to do together. I actually really did enjoy myself tonight, something that's pretty much never occurred when I've tried cooking before.


3 comments:

catie said...

Awwwww....how quickly they grow up!
: ) So proud of you and your cooking - The next time you see Robbie ask him about my first spaghetti dinner I cooked for him. Good times.

Jenn said...

What a great story! The meal looks and sounds delicious. Isn't it nice to have someone who appreciates having a meal with you?
Let me know if your in the market for some new recipes to try. = )

Lynsie said...

wow looks YUMMY! Way to go Laresa! =)