Thursday, October 30, 2008

It Starts With Goodbye

The long walkway; the secured entrance. “Where’s the clerk . . .of . . .the. . .district court?” I could barely get the words out. I just knew the officer could see right through me and was judging me for what I was about to do. Even if you’re 100% positive you are making the right decision, it doesn’t make this day any easier.

An elderly woman, a kind woman, tells me I still have some forms to fill out and there are things that still need to be notarized. She assumed I was completely prepared for this. Obviously, she assumed wrong. I sit down at a small classroom-like desk, to look up and find myself staring at the Marriage License window. My hands are shaking as I fill out the Civil Information Form. Laresa Julieanne White vs. Christopher Aaron White. Plaintiff vs Respondent.

I give the forms back to the woman and because everything on the page looked foreign to me, she patiently explained the next steps I had to take in order for this to be finalized.

Step 2: Notify Respondent of your Petition for Divorce.

No comments: